Friday, April 27, 2012

Dodo's Design "Twisted" Crochet Hook

Dodo's Design "Twist"

Manufacturer: DoDos-Design
Type of Hook: wooden, size "J"
Own/Covet: Own
On the Hook: nothing at the moment

What I love about the hook:  In 2006 and 2007 unusual crochet hooks seemed to have been the rage-- for me they still are -- imho, if you were shopping for hand-turned crochet hooks, this would have been the time to collect some of the more ornate ones hand-crafted in modern times!  Dodos Designs seeming came from out of no where, hosting a variety of different styles delighting crocheters.  I'm lucky to own several and will show more in the future. This particular hook with its see-through twisted carving was one of the most sought after styles (I think I still have battle scars from heavy eBay bidding; lol).

The Dodo hook was sold through eBay, and was mentioned in the August 2006 issue of Talking Crochet.  They had a booth at the 2006 CGOA ChainLink / Knit & Crochet Show, and in 2007 they would be selected as the Commemorative Crochet Hook for the CGOA's Hook Collector's group.

Unfortunately their website, www.dodo-design.com, went defunct in 2008.  It is unknown why they stopped offering their crochet hooks & knitting needles made of exotic wood, ox horns and bones.  My memory says that the hooks were manufactured in India, but I have no concrete evidence (at the moment) of this.   On Phootsy's website are images of how the hooks were created: http://www.phootsy.com/Dodo.htm

Unfortunately, for me, their hooks were heavily coated with a shellac varnish taking away from the natural wood feeling I enjoy so much, so I don't use them often.  However, their unique designs are what hooked me in collecting them.

No comments: