Friday, February 17, 2012

Dee's Dowel-y Crochet Hook

Crochet hook I made in Nancy Nehring's class @ 2006 CGOA ChainLink Conference.
Manufacturer: Me!
Type of Hook: wooden; made from a dowel; size "L"
Own/Covet: Own
On the Hook: nothing at the moment; use mainly for  hand-crocheting chemo caps with bulkier yarns

What I love about the hook:  I love the natural feel of wooden crochet hooks.  There were CGOA conferences where Nancy Nehring taught the class on how to craft your own crochet hook, but they always quickly sold out - so imagine my delight when I got in her 2006 class!

For me, this class was more than about just crafting a crochet hook. It was more about self-discovery of what I like about the crochet hooks I use.  What I discovered in that class is that I like my crochet hook heads to be tapered, with a nicely shaped bowl, and slightly tapered neck that gracefully connects to the body of the crochet hook.  I also discovered Walnut Oil.  Apparently, not only is it good for consumption, but it is also great for conditioning wooden crochet hooks!

If you are interested in learning how to create your own crochet hooks, I have created a page here containing several "how to" links.  Crafting your own crochet hook is a journey well worth taking, even if you only go on the journey once, as I have thus far.  :)

No comments: