Friday, January 27, 2012

Titanium Crochet Hook


Manufacturer: Molton Gold/London, England
Type of Hook: Titanium
Own/Covet: Own
On the Hook: nothing at the moment

What I love about the hook:  This is one of my prized crochet hooks in my collection. Based upon the eBay listing (I had won back in 2003), the hook came from  a jewelry store that was named "Molton Gold," which was located on South Molton Street in London, nearly 30 years ago.  The eBay listing states it is in the original box; it came with no paperwork or tags from the store. 

I have no idea who the actual hook maker was, but my understanding on how the rainbow colors were created comes from a 3-day-long crochet class I took around the same time I won the eBay auction:  the hook was dipped in a chemical, then electricity was added.  How long the hook sat in the electrified chemical determined the color the titanium took on; to see this process done in person is really cool.  (Google/Bing Joan Dulla to see some really cool creations using this process.)

Other than the hook being from London, being made from titanium, and the array of rainbow colors, I also love the long body.  I think it would be perfect for Tunisian crochet made with fine thread.  The only thing preventing me from actually using the hook is the head; it's kinda funky with it's extremely pointed head and notched out throat. 

I don't know if any others exist; I would love to know more about this hook, and if there are more out there in the world.  :)

2 comments:

SpringSplndr said...

That is one cool looking hook! (and dangerous looking too!)

Unknown said...

Hello
My husband makes titanium crochet hooks

https://www.etsy.com/listing/103179207/annodized-titanium-crochet-hook

lovely to see a vintage one.